Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Maybe It Doesn't Need Saving

I just recently read the article entitled Ulduar can't save World of Warcraft's end-game at Examiner.com. Continuously, these types of articles irk me. Not out-right irritate, for honestly it's not worth the energy when I have so little to spare at the moment, but rather for the complete devotion to the writer's own opinion as signifying a trend.

"You’ve already done this hundreds of times before." The author seems to be complaining that WoW is still the same game. Literally, he says in the post that it doesn't matter what content was in the patch, because in the end, "it’s still the same game." I can't say for sure, but I'm certain if it added in a pinball machine and a guitar controller, the author would gripe it was trying to be something it's not.

A big point seems to be that end-game is flawed. Yet the only depth he goes into about these flaws is that it is a grind. Oh, and despite the four different ways to play Ulduar, mixing ten-man, 25-man, normal mode and hard mode, Ulduar is only for the HARDCORE. Funny, 'cause my Paladin in blues and a few purples managed to make a nice showing in a ten-man normal Ulduar last night.

My real problem with this post is that, besides taking his own opinion (one he says, however, that only three people hold while the rest of us are rabid wow fanboiz and gurlz ready to sacrifice our first born to the gods of Blizzard) as superior, he uses it to create "news," i.e. that Ulduar has somehow caused WoW to fail, and then doesn't talk about it. Eventually, the post seems to boil down to "this is so boring, why haven't you quit yet? Oh wait, you're addicted. Losers."

Still, he goes on to saying things like dual spec and no longer being dismounted in water are obvious leads into an eventual auto-pilot mode, where we won't have to play our characters anymore. This is the same guy who wrote briefly about the plight of healers and tanks being forced into positions they don't wish to be in in an earlier article.

I have no problem with his opinion, except that he waves it around like a club and talks about whatever it happens to smash into with some relevance. Posts like this are about on equivalent ground with those that highlight isolated cases of shut-ins who kill themselves power-levelling and use them to make broad generalizations about the WoW population in general. As well, the author's hostile approach to talking to his audience is just ridiculous.

I suppose the point of my own post is that I am really tired of seeing people write openly hostile posts about WoW and then invalidate rebuttal by saying those who disagree are of the "zombified population" a.k.a. "sheeple," making those who agree with him the privileged few. I can't disagree without being in a position that has already been compromised. It's actually almost sad that this sort of thing is put out by an author who is paid to write about video games. I suppose, though, "sensational" headlines (ZOMG ULDUAR KILLIN MAH WOW WUT) get more page views. I sent you there, didn't I?

12 comments:

Darraxus said...

I agree. I dont see why all the negative vibes. If you dont like it, go play something else. I enjoy WoW immensely and am almost never without SOMETHING to do.

Ess said...

My major problem with his post is that is doesn't sound like he's been to Ulduar or has any personal experience playing WoW near the end-game. He's just assuming it's dissatisfying, jumping on the WoW=McDonald's bandwagon.

I'm with Darraxus -- if folks don't like WoW, they're welcome to play other games. This WoW-hate is everywhere though. I started playing EVE Online recently, and their rookie chat is frequently spammed by people arguing about whether or not WoW sucks. Why in the world would they talk about it there? (Apparently you'll find this in every other MMO though... just bring up WoW and watch the flaming begin.)

Anonymous said...

Urg the only thing worse than a disgrunted wow player holding forth in strong terms about how bad the game is, is an ex-wow player doing the same. There was some commentator on tobolds blog recently, trying to convince us all of the same thing, also pulling out the brainwashed argument. I hate it too. It has very little to do with the game, and an awful lot to do with the psychological problems of the gamer. Especially when ex-players do it.

Kayeri said...

Well, his complaints sound highly superficial to me...

Has this man played the game? Has he raided, has he experienced the content... the whole thing rings quite hollow, and yes, that he's just saying that anyone who likes it has no other life. Which as we all know, CAN happen to a bare few, but is not a prevalent situation at all.

When he can talk about the fun, the teamwork, the in-depth and rich lore of the game, then maybe I'll pay attention... as it is now, he's just blathering to garner attention by attacking a very popular game.

Best thing to do is laugh at him, then turn away... I've better things to do with my time, and no, they aren't all while signed into WoW.

Anonymous said...

I'm paraphrasing a blue post here but "Funny how people who complain about instances being too easy are the ones who never experienced it in the first place" which I totally agree with from reading his article. He just seems like another person putting themselves on a pedestal so show how much better he is for see through the "lies".

Rensaelys said...

There isn't much to say that hasn't already been said. Go play other games and such. I think it's rather funny when someone comments on WoW being so "boring" and "the same ol'". It's still an incredibly successful game despite whiners saying it's also the worst.

My two cents? I love Ulduar, and have enjoyed raiding it immensely. So has my raid of twenty-four other people. I think it *is* some of the same WoW, which is what makes it great, but with some innovation and thought added.

Lissanna said...

I like Ulduar. If people don't like WoW, and they are really emotionally involved in a game they don't even play, that's their problem.

Aertimus said...

No matter how many new seasons of football roll around, its always the same game. I mean, what is the NFL thinking? Don't they know their players and audiences want something COMPLETELY different? The only people who keep watching or playing game after game and season after season are addicts. No one in the right mind would hide away on a nice, sunny, fall day weekend after weekend to watch the same crap. "*A new season* provides no reasonable incentive to continue forward unless you’re in the hardcore percentile. That being said, understand that this *season* is not a mistake. I may despise *football* but you can’t just stand up and change the core of the gameplay. *Football* will never change and for that reason *the new season* does what it needs to do to keep the zombified population happy."

Sir Sannhet said...

Scroll through some of the titles of his other articles: he doesn't have one positive thing to say. He has a hate-on for WoW, and what seems like gaming in general.

Makes me wonder how he got his job.

Probably some time spent under the bosses desk. Utilize them kneepads, boy!

MomentEye said...

Your comparison to Shut-In Hysteria is a good one.

In any large population you will get some extreme examples.

Given enough type-writers you get this monkey.

Pike said...

It seems as though he forgot that some of us (read: most of us) play the game because it is fun...

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more, Bell. :)

Personally I really enjoy this game and am never without something to do even if that something isn't very important in the grand scheme of the game. Like recently I decided to grind walrus people rep and level my fishing and cooking.

I'm not really a big fan of the "end game" at the moment but I know lots of people that really enjoy it and are having fun with it.

I also know that just because Blizzard implemented a feature that I don't necessarily like, it doesn't mean that wow has "failed" or that the game is dying off.